Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mind your Ps and Qs


A new little quilt shop has recently opened down the street from our neighborhood.  I'm fascinated by this because I didn't realize enough people still quilt to support a new business. 

The name of it is "Mind Your Ps and Qs," which I don't really get either.  If the Q stands for quilt, what's the P stand for?  Is this some quilting expression? 

This started me thinking about the odd expression of minding one's Ps and Qs.  Wikipedia offers several explanations for the saying, but the one that makes most sense to me dates back to the days of printing presses when a printer would need to take care not to mix up the letters p and q when typesetting.  He would literally need to mind his ps and qs.

Of course all roads lead to the library for me, so I quickly started thinking what Ps and Qs librarians might need to mind.

How about these?

Mind your Ps:
Libraries are about people.
Librarians must remain positive, even in tough times.
Patrons (of all ages) are our priority.

Mind your Qs:
Questions are always valued.
Quality trumps quantity.
Be quick to serve with a spirit of helpfulness.

Mind your Ps and Qs, librarians, so our libraries are part of the essential fabric of our schools!

4 comments:

  1. I recently saw a sign that read, "Prepared, polite, positive" -- fits with our P theme here. I, too, wonder about the p's and q's of quilting. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Leigh Ann! I strive to remain positive all the time, and I strive to make the students and teachers a priority in all that i do.

    BTW, you crack me up about the quilting stuff! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a quilter who is also a librarian or is it a librarian who is also a quilter, any way, ps could stand for pieces, as in pieces of a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a quilter who is also a librarian or is it a librarian who is also a quilter, any way, ps could stand for pieces, as in pieces of a quilt!

    ReplyDelete