Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Keeping a reader's list

As you're reading, I hope that you'll consider keeping a Reader's List.  A reader's list is just that--a list of the titles and authors of every book you read. 

I wish I would have started my Reader's List as a child, or even the first year I became a librarian.  I didn't think to start it until my first year on the Lone Star committee, but even so, I love my list.  It would rank up there with the Top Five Things I'd Save in a Fire.  I tell my boys it's my legacy and have asked them not give it to Goodwill when I'm dead.  They, of course, roll their eyes.

When I started my Reader's List, I didn't think about my legacy, so for years I simply used little red notebooks that I'd get at the dollar store.  I fell in love with a leather journal and recopied ten years of titles into the new book.  After I'd finished, I found the beautiful brown journal with the alphabet on the front and recopied the titles yet again.  Now I don't look at new journals.

Here are a few tips to get you started...

1.  List only the title and author of each book read.
2.  Ditch the temptation to give a rating, write a summary, or keep track of the genre.
3.  At the top of each page, list the month and year.
4.  Number the books you read chronologically from 1 to infinity. 
     Don't start over each month or year.  This way you'll always know your running total.
5.  Personally, I use the exact same type of pen every time.  Black roller ball, medium ink.
      (But you're probably more well adjusted than I am).
6.  Feel free to mix adult titles in with the zillions of children's or YA books you read.
7.  Remember to include audiobooks on your list.  Audiobooks are books too!

7 comments:

  1. You introduced me to the Reader's List at my first staff development session as a Frisco librarian. I've been keeping my list since that day, and I love it! In the past, I tried to add summaries & thoughts, and I never stuck with these lists. Your simple strategy of just listing the title & author is perfect. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah CarlsonMay 19, 2010

    For the past couple of years, I've used Shelfari as my reading log. I think a hard copy would be nice to keep in addition, though. Wgere did you find the alphabet journal? It's perfect.

    For classes this week, we've been talking about summer reading goals and making summer reading logs. They have a list for "Books I want to read" and "Books I've read." We talked about how keeping a log gives readers a great sense of accomplishment, almost like a trophy. That's how I feel about it, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill & Sarah, I'm so glad you keep a Reader's List. I've used it in the library a ton of times when a kiddo will be hunting just that right book. I got my alphabet journal at BN and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so neat! I wish I had lists like these from my childhood - just to see how my interests and handwriting have changed.

    I've got an electronic reading list at goodreads.com/mrshamilton, which I like becuase I have famous "friends" there and I can see what they're reading too. I hope that site never goes under, I'll be lost!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm keeping my list for 2010 on 22books.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nifty idea! I read this post last night and was inspired to keep a reading journal of my own. As I go into my first year of librarianship it will be neat to keep a record of what I read from my first library. Thank you for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this post from your 100 books post and the timing is perfect. I have tried several times to keep track of my books, but I make it too complicated.

    I had already decided to start tomorrow (1/1/2012) with just a notebook where I will list title and author. I am also going to include dates started and finished.

    I already have the perfect notebook. Now, if only I can find it.!

    ReplyDelete