Friday, December 30, 2011

A reading resolution

Is anybody else a tad depressed with all the resolutions this time of year? Honestly, I am probably not going to lose that five pounds around my middle, lower my cholesterol, or get up an hour earlier to exercise.

What I can do is resolve to read.

As librarians, I think it's our responsibility to read. Yes, we want to be experts in many areas, but we're likely the best and only reader's advisor in our schools. And a reader's advisor can't just talk about reading, we need to read.

So I propose a resolution that's fairly realistic. Resolve to read 100 books in 2012.

How can we reach this goal? Read a book a week and listen to a book a week.

At two books per week that's about 98 books per year. During holidays and long weekends we can likely read a couple extra books to put us at the 100 mark.

If you always have a book on your smartphone and soak up those wasted minutes in the grocery store line and at soccer practice, a book a week is pretty attainable. Listen to a book while you commute, fold clothes, and walk the dog. Two books a week--done!

Remember to keep a reader's list (see previous post), and at the end of the year it will be great to have actually kept a resolution, and especially one that helps kids by helping you be a great reader's advisor.

2 comments:

  1. Why do I always feel guilty when I read at work?

    I am a 6-12 school librarian and I have to spend more time reading the YA books. Sometimes I get ticked that I never have time to read "my" books because I am always reading the ones for school.

    My resolution is to take one hour a day, AT WORK, and read. It won't be the same hour everyday due to schedules, but I will take that hour somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100 books is a great goal, and your audiobook recommendation is brilliant! Audiobooks were key in helping me get through 183 books in 5 months for my PhD qualifying exams. My other "secrets" here:

    http://www.ashleyperez.com/blog/item/113-mission-accomplished-or-how-to-read-184-books-in-5-months

    Elaine, I love how you are "buying" yourself more pleasure reading time by doing more "work" reading at work. Also brilliant!

    ReplyDelete