Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The future of reading and libraries


Things I believe...

1.  Nobody knows the future of reading and libraries.
2.  There will always be people predicting doom and gloom.
3.  Budget woes come and go.
4.  Libraries date back to hundreds of years BC and will likely be around many more centuries.
5.  Reading is more important than the format of the book.  If printed books eventually get squeezed out in favor of digital formats, we'll still be reading.
6.  Education is slow moving and school library budgets are slim.  So while school libraries may move toward online and digital formats, especially for reference and nonfiction, traditional printed books will be around a long time.
7.  There's a difference in libraries merely surviving and libraries being vital.
8.  Librarians are that difference.
9.  A few critical things to vibrant libraries:  relationships, service, willingness to share knowlege, meeting students and staff where they are, and keeping current.
10. If we hold on to the 20th century model, we'll be alone in our quiet libraries!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I couldn't agree more! This post sums up my feelings exactly. To me, the 'library' part of my job is the easy part. What needs most effort is the part where those relationships are built, being there (wherever that might be!) and being useful for kids and staff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! Number 10 says it all. I am really enjoying your blog. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just introduced to the blog. Great post and great title!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Leigh Ann. And I love your Picasa book feed--I may have to steal that idea! It's better than my Good Reads widget!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the start of one great manifesto to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Leigh Ann. And I love your Picasa book feed--I may have to steal that idea! It's better than my Good Reads widget!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post! Number 10 says it all. I am really enjoying your blog. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete