Wednesday, June 16, 2010

More things I didn't know OR the first week of school

Although it's just the middle of June, I know that many of you (especially new librarians) are thinking about the start of school (at least in a tiny corner of your head).

As I mentioned earlier, there were an awful lot of things I didn't know as a new librarian.  Like what to do the first week of school, for one.

As a teacher, I knew what to do.  Collect forms.  Play get acquainted games.  Write the dreaded "What I Did this Summer" essay.  Review rules and procedures.  Collect more forms. 

But as a librarian, none of this applied.  The bell rang that first morning, and kids scurried to their first period classes.  The library--empty!  Ditto day two and three.  Where were my classes?  Weren't teachers supposed to come sign up to bring their kids to the library?

I quickly realized that most teachers weren't going to come to me.  I had to hunt them down and ASK them to bring their classes to the library.  Who knew that being a librarian involved cold sales calls?

And I didn't actually have a lot of ideas.  Hmm.  We could check out books.  And...wasn't I supposed to be doing library orientation or something?  Geez.

I'm guessing you're not as hopeless as I was, but in case a few ideas will help, I'll offer a bit of advice for the first week of school...

1. Don't assume that teachers will come to you.
2. Don't assume that teachers are too busy to come to the library the first week of school.
3. Figure up how quickly you can see every kiddo in school if you compress the schedule.
4. Make the rounds BEFORE school starts to every team in the building.
5. Let the teachers know that your goal is to get a book in the hands of every student during the first week (nine days, or whatever) of school.
6. Ask if they would be willing to sign up to bring their kids as soon as possible.
7. DON'T do library orientation.
8. Yes, you read that right.  DON'T do library orientation (more on this in a minute).
9. Check out books to kids.  Make an effort to learn their names.  Start building relationships with students and staff.  Encourage kids to come on their own any time they have permission.
10. Do something fun and flashy the first time kids come to the library.  Book trailer? QR code scavenger hunt? You Tube video about libraries or books or the latest version of Did You Know? 
11.  Be SURE to schedule the teacher's next visit to the library but DON'T let them book more than the first six weeks of school.  Otherwise, you'll have an instant fixed schedule.

And about library orientation...

Library orientation is boring.  Orientation presents facts in isolation that no one (but the librarian) cares about or will remember.

Do NOT show a PowerPoint that "teaches" kids how to use the Dewey Decimal system, how to use the online catalog, or about the parts of the library.  Refrain from telling kids all the RULES (shudder) of your library.

Is this really the first impression you want students and staff to have?

Instead, do something fun and welcoming.  Keep it short.

Afterward, simply let them know they can check out X number of books for X number of weeks.  There are no fines.  If you have an overdue book, the Mafia will not be called, but you'll need to return it before you can check out another book.    

That's it.  NO orientation.  NO rules.  NO long, dry speeches or handouts they'll leave on the floor.

Instead, tell the kids,  "This is YOUR library.  You are welcome any time.  I'm here to help you find books you'll enjoy reading and information you may need.  I hope to see you often!"

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting us off the hook for traditional orientations! It's boring for everyone, and we have so much more to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new elementary librarian and stressing about orientation, what to say to the whole staff week one and orientation stuff. I'd read that less is more in orientation, but then this post really clicked for me. You're so right. All the info they need is on my shiny new website and The clerk and I will be there to teach everything else IN CONTEXT. Whew. What a load off my shoulders. Now to figure out the lessons (I have two 45-minute specials a day, sigh). Thanks! I'm adding you to my feed reader NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in the business for 15 years now and have never done library orientation. My first objective, like yours has always been to get a book in their hands. Otherwise they just sit there waiting for you to finish, wondering when they will get to check out a book! I might share some new books that just came in over the summer, but that's it. So go for it. They know the rules. After several weeks of them trying to find what they want, then I start teaching and reviewing needed library skills. I do a lot of listening and watching the 1st weeks to see what they remember and need to know. In the mean time, I have already started doing research with kids. Glad to hear someone else does not to orientations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No orientation? Now, the wheels are really turning, and I can't wait for the adventure to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've done orientation for the past 15 years. I don't make students wait until orientation is over to circulate, however. They start that the very first day of school. Next year,though, I'm taking your advice and I'm going to say NO to orientation! Thank you for a new and refreshing point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've done orientation for the past 15 years. I don't make students wait until orientation is over to circulate, however. They start that the very first day of school. Next year,though, I'm taking your advice and I'm going to say NO to orientation! Thank you for a new and refreshing point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for letting us off the hook for traditional orientations! It's boring for everyone, and we have so much more to offer!

    ReplyDelete