Thursday, June 3, 2010

Talking to your principal--Advocacy 101

I definitely appreciate your suggestions for blog topics!  Christine asked for ideas of what a librarian could share with her principal, either during the year or at the end. 

The principal can be your best advocate, and I would encourage you to regularly schedule time to sit down with your administrator to talk about the library.  Once a month or six weeks is about right.  Be sure to respect your principal's time by limiting this visit to 10-15 minutes, tops.  While newsletters and emails are fine, don't underestimate the power of regular, brief, face-to-face chats.

If you're new, definitely meet with your principal before the year starts.  Ask your principal what his/her vision of the library is.  What is important? 

Ask plenty of questions.  Articulate your vision and goals.  Don't assume that your principal knows what a good library program looks like. 

Several years ago, I very nearly turned down a job because the principal told me in the interview that she wanted me to do "library lessons using the almanac, for example."  YIKES.  Library lessons?  In middle school, no less?

I really wanted the job, so when she called to offer it to me, I worked up my nerve.  I told her that I thought we shared the same goal of a vibrant library program centered around students, but I thought we might have different views of how to reach the goal.

She asked me to explain, and I mentioned the library lessons. The principal laughed, and said, "Oh, I have no idea what librarians DO.  I'll leave that to you.  I just remembered my librarian doing almanac lessons."

Thank heavens I asked.  Otherwise, I might have turned down the job, or worse, I might have done the dreaded "library lessons" thinking that's what she expected.

The following is a short (random) list of topics you may wish to discuss.  Does your principal:
  • Share your philosophy and vision of the library?
  • Know your goals and how he/she can help you reach them?
  • Understand the importance of flexible scheduling?
  • Support the selection process and student access to materials? 
  • Pave the way for you to collaborate with teachers?
  • Provide adequate budget support?
  • Know what a good library program should look like?
A few pieces of advice:
  • Principals have crazy busy schedules.  Email the principal's secretary and make an 15-minute appointment for a convenient time.  Let them know the purpose of the visit.
  • Principals don't have time to wade through tons of stuff.  Limit written information you give them to one page.
  • Principals think in terms of student achievement.  School Libraries Work (Scholastic 2008) can provide good support, but remember the one page rule. 
  • Principals are data driven. Stats are nice. 
  • Principals hear it all.  As a result, they appreciate positive staff members who are team players.  Don't always ask for things!
  • Principals are people too.  Take time to develop a professional relationship.  Say thank you.  Tell him/her how much you appreciate their support. 
A brief end-of-the year report is nice but not required.  It may include stats for the year, summarization of major programs and accomplishments, and progress toward goals.

Your principal = your best advocate!

No comments:

Post a Comment