Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Are we speaking the same language?


My grandsons both received little remote control helicopters for Christmas. One of them worked really well for about ten minutes before it began to fly erratically.

When I began to troubleshoot the problem, I noticed this message printed on the plastic blades, "WARNING. If blade damage, don't be fly, otherwise it will create the human body or airframe damage."

Um, ok.

I laughed about this for a while, and then it reminded me of a person with whom I used to work.  I never quite figured out if it was me or if it was her, but honest to Pete, even though we both spoke English, I never quite understood what she was trying to say.

It wasn't a fluency problem or a literacy problem, but a communication problem.  I simply didn't get what she was saying, and I had no idea why.

Every time I got an email from her or listened to what she had to say in a meeting, I ended up just shaking my head and thinking, "Huh?"

But that was the end of that.  Even though it would have helped my cause in the long run, I never bothered to work through our lack of communication.

Looking back, I think the first step would have been fairly simple.  I should have said, "It's important to me to understand what you're saying.  Do you mean...?"

This would have not only validated what she was saying, but would have also provided clarification.  But in not doing this, I missed an opportunity to advocate for the library.  I didn't create a relationship that could have been potentially beneficial.

Are there teachers or administrators with whom you'd like to improve communication?  If you can take the first step toward that process, I think you'll find that it may benefit your library.  And what helps your library helps your kids.

For the kids, take the time to speak the same language.

No comments:

Post a Comment